Watercress and Carrots in Fish Broth
Soup Name: Watercress and Carrots in Fish Broth
Chinese Name: 果西洋胡蘿蔔魚湯 (xī yáng cài hú luóbo yú tāng)
A great fish soup base with vegetables that can serve as a meal. It’s not too common to make watercress with fish, but a tasty recommendation from my veggie vendor. It’s great in assisting coughs and moisturizing the body in the dry autumn and winter months. It’s also got minimal fat and ideal for children as well. The one key thing that many people tell me about watercress soups is that you MUST add watercress to boiling water or else the watercress will be sour? I have never actually tried it because I don’t want to spoil my soup, but if you happen to feel experimental or did it by accident, do share you experience and soup results!
What Ingredients are required?
- 2 L of water
- 1 fresh snakehead fish, chopped
- 3 slices of fresh ginger
- 2 whole fresh carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon of apricot kernels
- 1 large piece of dried tangerine peel
- 2-3 bunches of fresh watercress
How do I prepare it?
- Start boiling your soup water
- Wash your fish in warm water
- In a shallow pan, add sliced ginger and fry fish on medium heat until cooked on both sides
- When fish cools, put in a fish bag
- Cook for 5 minutes on both sides and set aside to cool when finished
- Rinse in warm water the apricot kernals, tangerine peel and fresh watercress
- Rinse carrots, peel, and cube
- When your soup water boils, add the bagged fish to the soup with the apricot kernals and tangerine peel
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes
- Add fresh watercress to the soup and boil on high for another 10-15 minutes (or until watercress is at desired softness)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Excellent soup for the lungs to help relieve cough
- Helps moisten the lungs and throat
- This soup is said to help strengthen the lungs
- Be sure to use a soup bag when boiling soup with fish (to keep the bones together)
- Add watercress to boiling water only or the vegetable will turn bitter if you add to cold water and then boil