Mui Choi (Mui Choy)
Ingredient Name: Mui Choi, Mui Choy, Pickled Chinese Cabbage
Mui choy is preserved (pickled) chinese cabbage
It is a traditional preparation method used to preserve food after the harvest for winter months and consumption at the later time
It is commonly used in braised dishes (such as pork belly) and other Chinese dishes
How do I prepare it?
Remove the mui choy from the bag
Soak in cool water for 30 minutes
Rinse in running water making sure to spread the leaves to ensure that all the sand is washed away
You can either leave it as a whole piece or dice it into tiny pieces for soup
Where can I buy this?
You can purchase mui choy prepackaged in most Asian supermarkets
What is the cost?
- Mui choy costs around $2.50 CAD / pound
- It is an ideal substitute for salting and flavouring food
- Due to the preservation process, mui choy often contains sand grits and dirt
- It can be an extremely salty ingredient is not washed thoroughly, so use in moderation
- Buy miu choy from a reputable source
Mui choy stores very well and can be kept sealed in the fridge for up to 6 months