Loquat Leaf (Dried)
Ingredient Name: Loquat Leaf (Dried)
Traditional Chinese Name: 枇杷葉 (pípá yè), 琵琶葉 (pípá yè)
The dried leaf of the loquat leaf plant (which produces an oval orange fruit that has a very large seed)
- The leaves are usually 10-25 cm in length and dark green in color with a leathery texture
- The loquat fruit is very common in Chinese and Japanese cultures
How do I prepare it?
The leaves are normally bought dried and pre-cut
- Simply rinse in warm water before usage
Where can I buy this?
Most herbal shops will carry this
- Wet marts in Hong Kong will also sometimes carry this
What is the cost?
- Extremely affordable
- 30 g cost around $5 HKD
Leaves are said to soothe the digestive and respiratory systems
- They also aid in helping your body release anti-oxidants (to reduce aging)
- Can help skin inflammation if applied topically
- Avoid eating the seeds of the loquat fruit (and young leaves) as it is carcinogenic and releases cyanide when digested (although in low amounts)