Licorice Root or Chinese Licorice
Ingredient Name: Licorice root, Licorice (Liquorice), Sweet root, Chinese Licorice, Glycyrrhiza uralensis
Traditional Chinese Name:甘草 (gān cǎo)
What is this?
- The root of the licorice plant which is extracted and dried
- Common Chinese herbal ingredient and often found in Chinese medicines
- Mainly grown in China (Eastern & Northern parts)
- Slightly sweet in flavor
How do I prepare it?
Rinse in warm water prior to use
Where can I buy this?
This is available in most Asian supermarkets
Also available in Chinese herbals stores
What is the cost
10 g cost around $2-3 HKD
Used to aid cough, sore throat, asthma and remove phlegm
- Helps in detoxifying the body
- Reduce heatiness in the body
- Considered a cool food
Not be consumed by women who are pregnant – especially in first trimester as it’s a cooling food
- People with heart disease or high blood pressure should be cautious about using licorice