Herbal Pork and Chestnuts Broth
Soup Name: Herbal Pork and Chestnuts Broth
Traditional Chinese Name: 清豬骨湯 (qīng zhū gǔ tāng)
This Chinese soup is a “warm” soup that is ideal for the incoming autumn and winter months. It’s a bit warming, helps nourish the body and provides moisture as the dryer seasons roll around. This is a soup that is an easy make (especially when you’re short on fresh fruits or vegetables) as most of the ingredients are dried. It’s naturally sweet and with the addition of ginger slices, can be used for confinement.
What ingredients are required?
1 pound fresh pork shank
2 pieces of dried large snails or abalone
15 fresh chestnuts
5 honey dates
1 tablespoon of dried wolfberries
20 pieces of dried longan
5-6 pieces of dried Chinese yam
1 tablespoon of fox seeds
2 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Blanch the pork shank and dried snail or abalone in boiling water for 3-5 minutes
- Boil your soup water
- In the same pot you used to blanch the meat, boil the chestnuts for 8 minutes on high heat
- Pour the chestnuts into a strainer and while still hot, remove the outer peel and skin of the chestnuts (use a towel if necessary as it is really hot)
- When you soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for 30 minutes and reduce to a medium boil for another hour
- Serve and enjoy!
- Naturally sweet and packed with anti-oxidants
- Snails help nourish the Yin and improve kidney functions and eye sight
- Slightly warm and excellent for children and pregnancies
- Contains ingredients that are readily available in the Chinese repertoire of soup ingredients
- Be sure to rinse all dried ingredients thorough (especially fox nuts as they are highly processed)