Chinese Yam (dried)
4 January 2009 13,350 views 3 Comments
Ingredient Name: Chinese Yam (dried)
Traditional Chinese Name: 淮山 (huái shān)
What is this?
A type of yam that has been dried and cut into length-wise pieces
It is tasteless and looks very similar to white chalk
How do I prepare it?
Soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes
Where can I buy this?
You can purchase dried Chinese yam in most Asian supermarkets and Chinese dried herb shops
What is the cost?
- Dried Chinese yam are affordable
- It is often used in combination with meats and other Chinese herbs to help digestion and regulate sugar levels
- Traditionally it is used to relieve stomach pains and diarrhea
- When boiled with chicken and a variety of other Chinese herbs, it is an ideal confinement soup as it helps control inflammation of the uterus
- Excess consumption is known to cause frequent urination and perspiration
Dried chinese yam may be stored at room temperature.