Chinese Pumpkin with Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup
Soup Name: Chinese pumpkin with sweet potato and tomato soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 三甘湯 (sān gān tāng)
The name is quite interesting because I learned about this soup from my vegetable vendor in the wet mart in Hong Kong. The 3 (三 – sān) implies 3 keys vegetables ingredients, that being: Chinese pumpkin, sweet potato and tomatos. The base of this soup is rich in vitamins, extremely sweet and a neutral soup for the whole family to drink. You can add other ingredients to this vegetable soup pending your creativity and physical needs.
What Ingredients are required?
1 pound of fresh pork shank (optional if you want a vegetarian soup)
1/2 fresh Chinese pumpkin
5 fresh tomatoes
3 fresh sweet potatoes
10 dried longans
2 fresh onions
2-3 L of water
1 teaspoon of oil (optional to pan-fry onions)
How do I prepare it?
- Boil your soup water
- Blanch pork in boiling water
- Cut up pumpkin, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and onions into large cubes
- In a shallow pan, quickly fry the onions (optional step, but it really enhances the flavour of the onions in the soup)
- When water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for 30 minutes, reduce to simmer for another hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
Excellent soup for children (including the rich broth and hearty ingredients)
- Soup is rich in Vitamin A, C, and beta-carotene
- Ingredients are great for the eyes and aides in digestion
- None! Enjoy!