Ingredient Name: Beef slices, been tenderloin
Chinese Name: 牛肉 (niú ròu)
It is not common to use beef slices in Chinese soups, but you will find ox tails and other parts sometimes. I bought this beef from the wet part and truly, the softest and tenderest part has to come with fat. It is unavoidable. Depending on how you make it, you can eliminate the fat in soups through a fat scooper. This type of beef cut is probably best used for quick boil soups (as old fire soups) will just beat the living daylights out of the meat.
Fresh beef slices from the loin portion of the cow
- This muscle does the least amount of work (in the cow’s body) and therefore is normally the most tender
- This type of meat is often used in tartares, whole steak or sliced
- It is one of the more expensive parts of the cow for consumption
How do I prepare it?
To prepare, wash first before cooking or marinating
You may need to cut up into pieces if you’ve purchased it by the pound
Where can I buy this?
You can buy this in any supermarket
In Asian supermarkets, you can purchase them by the weight and cut
What is the cost?
- 1 bitter melon about 30cm in length cost around $5-6 HKD
- Lean beef is an important source of 12 essential nutrients including high quality protein, iron, zinc and B vitamins
Be sure to remove excess fat
Many believe that organic beef is best as there are no growth hormones and antibiotics, which can potentially make you sick if there is over consumption of beef
- Depending on the soup, pork or even chicken meat is substitutable